Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Accident











I work in surgery... I see trauma... I see death... worse, I see life changing injuries. The last thing I'd wish on anyone is what I went through. In July, 2009, we were at Riverside Country Club swimming. We were getting out of the pool and drying off to leave. I sat Jack down wrapped in his towel in his car seat which was sitting on the chair. No, he was not strapped in. I had to change him because he was wet from the pool. To keep him warm, he was still wrapped in the towel as I prepared a soft spot on the table to change him. Before I knew what happened he was on the concrete floor, face down. Some kids had flown past the back of the chair and bumped into it. I can still hear the sound he made today. We quickly grabbed him and I examined his body. They say nurses are the worse in these situations when it has to do with their own children. I'll give myself props. I did ok. We grabbed everything and headed to the car. I knew we were going to the hospital. On the way I called the best neurosurgeon in the state. Yes, I have is cell number. Perks for my profession. He was going to meet us at the hospital and read Jacks head CT.
Not good. He had a right temporal sub-arachnoid bleed in his brain and a parietal fracture. We were going to Primarys Childrens Hospital. My heart broke! Everyone at work knew and came by to comfort, but really it made it worse. seeing them gave Jacks diagnosis a reality.
At Primarys we were treated very good! Our nurses rocked and doctors really are some of the best in the country. We spent the weekend there until they re-check Jack's Ct to find all bleeding had stopped and all the blood had been washed out.
We were lucky. We still have our sweet boy. but I will never forget that day and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment